Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cru Update - #1

What's God doing on campus / What's the campus atmosphere? In dealing with the Greek side of campus, the feel I get from some students is one of general indifference regarding personal and spiritual growth. Others, even within the same fraternity, may be striving to develop all areas of their life while in college. All have been open to meet, however, and I am confident that over a period of time... these young men will begin to see areas in their lives that only Jesus can fill.

Campus wide, this year has been marked by a very high number of alcohol poisoning issues. Thus far, almost 150 students have been sent to the hospital for these cases... in the first month there were more cases than all of last year combined. In the some 20 sorority and fraternity houses on campus, students are making both incredibly wise and destructive choices for their lives. This is why it is so important for us to simply be there for them.

On a positive note... there are numerous Christians in every chapter on campus not only living in the house... but making an eternal impact on other brothers or sisters. It's been incredible to see how mature both personally and spiritually so many of the Greek students are. Being new to ministry myself, a large number of these fraternity and sorority members have helped me get my bearings in my new role and have also helped to open the doors of their chapter houses to our team during these first few months.

Through these students, it is clear to see that God is doing some amazing things at Arkansas. This year, one student had an idea to promote unity among all students and ministry organizations by holding prayer nights on campus. At the first event held, hundreds of students came to Old Main lawn in order to have fellowship and time of prayer for the campus and each other. Individually, these leaders are also investing in the next generation through one on one discipleship, accountability groups, and encouraging others in their faith.

As well, numerous students have made the decision to either re-dedicate or give their lives to the Lord this year. Again, with so many tough situations happening daily on our campus, it's awesome to see so many students that are living for the right things and sharing their faith with others. Finally, Campus Crusade at Arkansas is seeing unprecedented numbers of involved seniors this year. Almost 40 seniors made the trip to Quapaw, OK last month for our Fall retreat... compared to only a few last year.

What's God teaching James / Doing through James? I am learning a ton right now, which is part of the reason I have not sent out a support letter to you (candidly). For example, I will put together a letter to send out and the very next day... my perspective will have changed on what was written just the day before. The Lord is working daily on a few areas of my life: humility, forgiveness, grace, patience with others and myself, believing the best in people and myself, pride, etc. I am getting very comfortable with the fact that I do not need to have control of things at all times... that living with some unknowns is acceptable... that giving all credit to others (and especially the Lord) is very liberating... and that seeking advice does not show weakness. I am amazed daily that not having a strong grasp on a few concepts (not relying on myself for answers, letting go of control of my life for His greater and grander purposes, and keeping the big picture goals in mind) can get me in over my head... but through all trials... the Lord always guides and supplies His best for our lives. It's also been great to realize that life is truly a journey and not a destination, that making mistakes along the way is just part of personally developing and growing... and when mistakes are made... to own them but also to live in grace and forgiveness.

What He is doing through me is to daily spend time with fraternity men that are now where I was almost a decade ago. I pray daily for wisdom and the humility and foresight to continue to invest in their lives. I have been able to be part of conversations where young men open up about their lives, their journey, their struggles and what excites them. It's amazing how often young men, when given the chance, will really let you into their lives and sometimes offer you the opportunity to provide feedback or ideas to them. Most of the time, though, just being there and listening is the best thing one can offer. My hope is that others will see in me the same thing I saw in others who I once (and still do) looked up to: consistency, kindness, an engaging and selfless spirit, a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment